- · Admiral Peary attempted to reach the North Pole seven times before he made it on try number eight.
- · Oscar Hammerstein had five flop shows that lasted less than a combined total of six weeks before Oklahoma, which ran for 269 weeks and grossed $7 million.
- · John Creasey received 743 rejection slips from publishers before one word was ever published – he eventually published 560 books, which have sold more than 60 million copies.
- · Eddy Arcaro lost 250 consecutive races before he won his first.
- · Albert Einstein, Edgar Allan Poe, and John Shelley were all expelled from school for being mentally slow.
Our family enjoys the fun andrefreshment of water slides and lazy rivers during hot summer vacations. At most water parks, there are also one or two spots where large buckets hang overhead filling little by little with water. The closer the bucket gets to being full, the larger the crowd grows beneath in anticipation—children and adults alike wait for the outpouring. Then SUDDENLY the bucket tips and a great flood of refreshment crashes down on all below!
In the Book of Revelation, the Bible describes golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints (Revelation 5:8). In other words, the prayers of God's people collectively fill heavenly bowls with sweet aroma, much like the burnt offerings did in days of old. In Revelation 8, we discover what these bowls are used for:
"Then another angel, having a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden alter w…