Wednesday, August 22, 2012

TIME TO MAKE A DECISION

By:  J. Maxwell

Then the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, "Because you did not believe Me, to hallow Me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them." Numbers 20:12

We learn something invaluable about leadership at the expense of Moses in Numbers 20. By this point, Moses felt weary of the complaining, the stagnation, and the lack of progress among the people. He was running on empty. And in his weakened condition he made a decision that cost him his future.

Directed by God to speak to a rock in order to get water for the nation, in anger Moses struck the rock. He reacted in fury rather than obeying with poise, and for his disobedience he was barred from entering the Promised Land.

This sad incident teaches us at least two lessons. First, never make a major decision during an emotionally low time. Second, choose to be proactive, not reactive, in your leadership. Don't let your mandate come from the grumblings of the crowd. Get your cues from God and the mission He has given you. Ask yourself these questions:

1. Am I a reactor or a creator when I lead?
2. Do I play defense or offense when I lead?
3. Am I a people-pleaser or a God-pleaser when I lead?
4. Do I boss my calendar, or does someone else choose where I give my time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waiting on God and His Light in the Heart

By:   A. Murray “I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in His word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they t...