Saturday, January 21, 2012

LOVE OVER BITTERNESS


By:  F. Kong


As no occasion justifies hatred, no injustice warrants bitterness.

I choose love. Today I will love God and what God loves.

Hatred destroys.

If bitterness is a poison then resentment is a cancer.

Bitterness destroys others while resentment destroys the self.

I can surrender every bit of hatred to the God of Love and then, have Him replace all my hate with His love on this brand new day.

A cornered rattlesnake can become so frenzied, that it can actually bite itself with its own deadly fangs. In the same way, a person harboring hatred and resentment in his heart can be hurt by his own poisonous malice. He believes he is injuring his enemies by displaying his wrath, but the real injury is inflicted deep in his own soul.

Anger can also cause us to do and say things we may deeply regret. George W. Martin gives the following account: “I remember a fellow who once wrote a nasty letter to his father. Since we worked in the same office, I advised him not to send it because it was written in a fit of temper. But he sealed it and asked me to put it in the mail. Instead, I simply slipped it into my pocket and kept it until the next day. The following morning he arrived at the office looking very worried. ‘George,’ he said, ‘I wish I had never sent that note to my dad yesterday. It hurts me deeply, and I know it will break his heart when he reads it. I’d give 50 dollars to get it back!’ Taking the envelope from my pocket, I handed it to him and told him what I had done. He was so overjoyed that he actually wanted to pay me the 50 dollars!”

By the way, make sure you don’t do these two things whenever you are angry:

  • ·         Write a letter.
  • ·         Write a memo.


A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. – Prov. 15: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waiting on God and His Light in the Heart

By:   A. Murray “I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in His word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they t...